On chrome's homepage, there's a news tab below the search bar. When you go to other pages, notifications about new posts may pop up next to the main information. News blocks are formed taking into account the user's search queries. The more a person is interested in a phenomenon, the more often the browser offers news on this topic.
Some like to keep up to date with the latest developments, others pop-ups are annoying. If you are tired of notifications, you can turn off the news in Google Chrome on Android. How to deactivate, read below.
What is news in Google Chrome
The browser constantly receives and systematizes information disseminated by electronic media. Fresh publications are displayed in the "News" tab under the search bar and in the "Google News" service in the quick access toolbar.
If a person has just installed a browser, collections of publications are formed by machine intelligence. The user can influence the content of the news feed. To do this, you need to go to the basic settings of the Chrome web browser, disable the display of irrelevant articles, subscribe to interesting news.
Pop-ups with an invitation to subscribe appear when a person opens a page with the text of the news. If the user wants to receive notifications about the publications of the news resource, you need to click the "Agree" button. If you are not interested in the subscription, click on the "Cancel" button ("Not now", "Block").
If a person has chosen the "Agree" option, push notifications will appear on the smartphone screen when new materials are published. Pop-up alerts help users track:
- news of information resources;
- start of live broadcasts and online conferences;
- messages about promotions and discounts in stores;
- reports on upcoming cultural events.
Notifications are a useful feature for people who value their time. The news summary for the day on the pages of electronic media contains a lot of superfluous information, interesting materials have to be searched for. If push notifications are activated, the latest articles arrive on your smartphone automatically. The risk of missing an important message is reduced.
There are also disadvantages to this technology. Some subscribe to the news by accident. Such users are annoyed by toast notifications. Fortunately, the news can be stopped.
Is it possible to disable the function on Android
Unnecessary messages in the news feed are annoying, interfere with work and search for important information. Some people sign up for media updates accidentally and get a ton of useless notifications.
Services with media materials are an inseparable part of the Chrome browser. You can't turn off the news feed entirely, but users of Android phones can stop showing notifications and some articles. After making changes to the browser settings, excess information will disappear from the smartphone screen.
First, the owner of the smartphone must decide what exactly he does not like.
If push messages interfere, you need to go to the browser settings and disable notifications. If there are a lot of useless publications in Google News, you need to open the main page of the service and hide uninteresting articles.
To deactivate notifications:
- Open any page of the search engine and click on the "More" button (three dots in the upper right corner).
- Select the Settings tab, then find and click the Notifications tab.
- Examine the list of active notifications, turn off all or some notifications.
Sometimes, after these actions, pop-up messages do not disappear. Possible causes of the problem are viruses, program corruption, a large number of active options in the browser.
To troubleshoot, check your smartphone with an antivirus, remove malware. The next step is to deactivate the built-in utilities and all unnecessary features of Google Chrome.
If you still can't turn off News Feed, you'll need to reinstall the app. Remove Google Chrome from your phone, download and install the new version of the browser.
Turn off specific news
Many users don't mind notifications, but don't want to receive alerts from a particular site. To hide unnecessary news from one resource:
- Activate the browser by tapping the three dots at the top of the display.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Go to the Site Settings page, then the Notifications page.
- In the list of sites find an uninteresting resource, click on its address.
- In the window that appears, select Block.
In the latest versions of the Google Chrome browser, there is a second simplified version of blocking news:
- Click on the vertically located points in the upper corner of the web page.
- Go to the "Settings" tab and click on the "Notifications" line.
- On the new page, find the site from which you don't want to receive alerts.
- Move the radio button next to the site address to the "off" position.
In the Google News service, you can reduce the number of publications from certain media outlets or completely exclude the publication from the feed. To do this:
- In the news feed of the service, find an uninteresting article.
- Tap the three dots below the article title.
- Select "Hide all news of the publication" or "Less news like this".
Turn off all notifications
Pop-up windows can appear at inappropriate moments. If the alerts are distracting, interfere with the work, it is better to remove the news from Google Chrome completely. To turn off all notifications:
- Open a browser and tap the three dots in the upper-right corner of the display.
- Go to the "Settings" tab, then to the "Notifications" tab.
- In the "Sites" block, find the line "Display of notifications".
- Move the slider to Off.
After disabling notifications on sites, windows will still pop up with an offer to subscribe. If you do not want to receive such offers:
- Enter your browser settings (gear icon).
- Go to the "Site Settings" tab, then the "Notifications" tab.
- Uncheck the box next to "Sites can request permissions to send notifications."
At any time, the user can reactivate the display of news. To do this, go to the settings and in the "Notifications" tab return the switches to the "on" position.
Alerts won't be annoying if you list your subscriptions thoughtfully. For example, instead of sites with weather, road and city news, it is better to subscribe to one resource, where all the listed information is adjacent on one page. The number of alerts will immediately decrease by three times.